Saturday, September 12, 2009

Dull Night at the Denny's Bar...not at all!


Just off the 210 freeway nestled in an industrial culdesac lies the strangest Denny's I have ever encountered. What makes it so strange you ask? Well its the only Denny's that has an attached bar to it called The Liars Club.

When I first received the text with the invitation to go I was certain my friend had made a mistake. It peeked my interest so we made it a date! Cruising down the industrial area just off the Irwindale exit we missed it and had our co-pilot Gerardo not pointed it out we might have been circling for quite a bit. Upon walking up to the Denny's it looked like your typical drunk after partying breakfast stop but off to the side was the hidden gem we had been searching for.

First off the vibe is very sports bar-ish with a pool table and large plasma which was illuminating the karaoke lyrics of some horrid country song sung by a gentleman in a mullet. YES it WAS a mullet, live and growing in the Liars Club of Irwindale...who'd a thunk , right? So we make our way to the bar which had a scarce selection of liquor but decent. Grey goose, Stoli, Bacardi, Captain Morgan, Jose Cuervo... Started with a vodka tonic which arrived in a tall glass and was good!! Best of all it was cheap! Four mixed drinks and a 32 oz beer ($6.00 ea.) for $20! We took a seat in the patio overlooking the soothing sounds of the 210 freeway to enjoy the view. The clientele is older, 30+, and my group and I were the youngest ones there. During my 2 minutes at the bar my lovely friend Carina and I heard the worst 2 seperate pick-up lines and hopefully the last ones of the night. And yes it was not a figment of my imagination that the "old school guy" did in fact grab my ass coming back from the bathroom...moving on....

I have to say my time there was most enjoyable thanks to my group. Had we been a party of 3 I am sure our time there would not have lasted but how can you shy away from cheap drinks, booming Chente karaoke, and a bartender with a good pour who maybe shouldn't be wearing a tube top? After my 3rd or wait was it my 5th grey goose and tonic... I was beginning to love the idea of it all until we witnessed some cholos taking down the "old school guy" and that was our cue to leave. So like I said, not a dull night at all!

No comments:

Post a Comment